Friday, October 21, 2011

Rangoli

Rangoli or Alpana has always been an significant part of diwali decorations for me, ever since my childhood.

My earliest memories of Diwali and its traditions, are of my mother making an alpana/rangoli in our puja area. The alpana pattern was made of a white paste of rice powder and then decorated with a hint of red. The pattern itself could be made of various forms- flowers, lotus, diyas, geometrical designs etc. The floor area covered with the alpana was considered sacred and worthy of placing all things to be worshiped. Traditionally, Diwali festivities last a few days starting with Dhanteras. The alpana once made, stayed intact for all the days till the festivities lasted.  

As I grew older, I remember my sister and I making a rangoli every Diwali, near our entrance back in our home in India. As kids, amongst other things that marked Diwali as a special occasion, such as getting new clothes, gifts, lighting candles and diyas, fireworks; the rangoli was always one of the most exciting part for us. It was a way for us to express our creativity and be appreciated by all the guests that visited our home to bring Diwali wishes:)


Diwali, for me, is a very special occasion to celebrate... and I wish to always continue the rangoli tradition.

Here are a few shots of the Rangoli that I have made in my home past few years.









I hope you are all gearing up for the festive times ahead......My weekend is going to be packed with preparing for Diwali...and then Halloween!

Have a great weekend!



9 comments:

  1. Neha, so good to have you back:) Can't wait to hear all about the trip...but Diwali and Halloween first:) Love all of your decorations, how very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good ideas for Diwali. Thanks Neha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first one! <3 Wish you a very happy Diwali Neha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Diwali Neha, wishing you happiness and prosperity in the year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! beautiful Rangoli's and ideas for Diwali. Ganesha one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the Rangolis are classy and so creative..cannot pick one out of them.. Happy Diwali to you..

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh gosh.. Your rangolis are simply stunning.. You've done such a fabulous job!!

    Hope you and your family had a fabulous Diwali celebration..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and inspiring too, hope you had a great Diwali. Thanks for joining in The KeyBunch Party.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you...your comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...